SENSITIVE OR OVERSENSITIVE
Being sensitive is part of intelligence, emotion, feeling, and being alive. This is good. This means that a person has awareness and intelligence.
Oversensitivity is a weakness. It generally arises when a person is not taught how to be strong, how to be assertive, how “stand up straight”, and how to have a thick skin (not let things bother us) when required.
Over sensitivity is being over affected by an external influence that can hardly affect normal people, for example not being able to tolerate constructive criticism that other people normally tolerate. In order to know if you are an over sensitive person see if your answer to most of those questions were yes.
- Do you get hurt by some words or comments that are told to you about your personality?
- are you unable to tolerate criticism?
- Do you feel other people's pain and suffering more than anyone else?
- Are you slim or your body is smaller in size than peers? (The Ectomorph body type, 99% of the time very sensitive)
- Do you stop for more than three minutes when you see an accident on the street in order to watch?
- Do you find it very high to tolerate high or low temperatures?
- Do you find it very hard to gain muscles by working out?
- Do you have lots of mood swings as a result of small events?
the life of an over sensitive person
If your answer were yes to some of the previous questions then probably you are an over sensitive person. The life of an over sensitive person is much different than the life of other people, simple because the over sensitive person feels the pain in an exaggerated way and so has problems tolerating it. the over sensitve person forms anchors faster than anybody else, for example if he had a real bad experience in a different country than his home country, after he gets back he may hate the country as a whole because in that case he anchored the pain he felt to the place.
over sensitivity and mood swings
Over sensitive people are more likely to have bad moods, to get depressed and to be moody because their mode changes whenever any small event happen. An emotionally sensitive person is like a fragile person, or a person who is labeled "handle with care". The biggest problem is that people don't have enough knowledge sometimes to realize that they are dealing with an emotionally sensitive person and so they may cause him lots of pain without realizing this. A good thing that you can do in this case is to use the technique called "locking the emotions" in order to extend the periods of feeling happy, read this article to know how to do it.
Over sensitivity and breakups
Over sensitive people have hard time getting people the persons they loved simply because they feel the pain that results from a breakup in an exaggerated way. In my book "how to get over anyone in few days" i described how can small actions like stopping listening to romantic songs, burning the old pictures and preventing yourself from visiting the places you both used to go to together can help you recover fast even if you were an over sensitive person. If you are an over sensitive and if you have any problems getting over someone then make sure you check out this guide.
you are not bad!!
There are many good things about an emotionally sensitive person, first he feels people’s suffering more than anyone else and so in most cases he tends to be a nice and friendly person.
If you know how not to hurt a sensitive relationship partner then he will be a very good choice, emotionally sensitive people are the least problematic persons around.
Emotionally sensitive people usually have creative abilities which sometimes make them excel at arts or poetry.
Over sensitivity and Emotional wounds
If you tried to put some water on a fresh wound you will feel pain, that’s because when we develop a wound we tend to become over sensitive to factors that didn’t use to harm us before, And the same goes with emotional wounds, being rejected as a child, lacking self confidence and having self image problems are all examples of unhealed wounds that can make you over sensitive to things that others just don’t notice, if you want to know more about emotional wounds then read this article.
dealing with over sensitivity
There are many ways that can help you deal with your over sensitivity but most of them root to one source, changing your way of thinking and your perception of situations. After all if you are over sensitive you wont feel bad when being hurt unless you have perceived the situation that happened as a bad one, if you managed to change your way of thinking you will be able to reap the benefits of emotional sensitivity and avoid its drawbacks.
dealing with emotional sensitivity
All of the previous were the advantages you have as an emotionally sensitive person over others, now onto how to make your sensitivity have a minimal impact on your life:
- First of all know that the words that can hurt an emotionally sensitive person does not hurt unless he views those words as insulting, or as having the meaning that he is an unworthy person. So by changing your view of the criticism you receive can reduce your response much to being criticized. For example, when someone tells you that you didn't play well today at the match, this doesn't mean that you are a bad player, this doesn't mean you are a failure and this doesn't mean you are worthless! It's not the words that did hurt you, it's the meaning that you did tie to the words.
- This brings us to point two, what can cause your view of the criticism you receive to be that bad? Usually its your negative self talk, negative self talk are the words or the phrases that you use while thinking. example of negative self talk phrases are "I know why he said so, because I am a looser" or "I knew that I am not up to the standard that's why she told me so". Lacking self-confidence is one of the major factors that can make you have a negative self talk and so get hurt by anything that you hear. By building self confidence and changing your negative self talk, you won't be removing your sensitivity but instead you will be changing your perspective of what you hear and of criticism and so you won't get hurt.
- Giving up perfectionism,Perfectionism is the way of thinking that considers life is perfect and that you should be perfect in turn, based on that you may think that all people should praise you, that everyone should say good and encouraging words to others, that everyone is kind .....etc. This kind of thinking causes you to get hurt whenever you find that life is not as you expected. Face the reality and know that perfectionism is a bad and unrealistic of thinking .
- Finally you can use CBT to change your method of thinking and so avoid triggering your sensitivity. CBT is a method of therapy that is very easy to apply, it's based on the concept that your emotions are triggered because of your way of thinking and so by changing your thoughts you prevent triggering those unwanted emotions.
Thanks to http://www.2knowmyself.com/ for the above information