Vanity (compare Pride) is the excessive belief in one's own abilities or attractiveness to others.
Vanity is a form of egotistical comparison with others often leading to:
- Anger : Because there will always be others who are better than you.
- Bitterness: Formed by constantly comparing oneself to others.
- Disappointment: As the unrealistic view is shattered.
- Envy: At others looks, personality, experiences, and fortune.
- Hatred: At others and oneself.
- Perfectionism: A neurotic attempt to keep up the unrealistic self-image.